Sunday, April 28, 2013

Reserve Grand Veneur Côtes du Rhône Tasting

Name: Reserve Grand Veneur Côtes du Rhône
Variety: 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah and 10% Cinsault
Region: Rhone Valley
Country: France
Year: 2010
Price: $14.95


ReviewAs for their other values, the 2010 Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve (70% Grenache, 20% Syrah and 10% Cinsault) displays loads of ripe flavors. It is very concentrated for a Cotes du Rhone, and is actually an amazing wine. Classic garrigue, black cherry liqueur, lavender, licorice and spice box are all present in this full- bodied, intense, and rich Cotes du Rhone. This is a sensational effort to drink over the next 4-5 years, although it might last even longer.

My Review: This wine was way too intense for me. I could tell it was going to overwhelm my palate when I first smelled it. The black cherry was very apparent, as was the licorice. I hate licorice so I was immediately skeptical. The finish on this wine was so hot, it distracted me from everything I had tasted. The alcohol content of this wine was too high for my taste. It overpowered the other flavors that I was expecting to taste. Definitely too big of a wine for me, especially for $15. However, I imagine these are the reds I will want to drink a my palate matures and I get older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment