Friday, February 1, 2013

My Experience with Wine


As a 21 year old, I feel like I should have acquired a liking or at least a tolerance for wine. However, I find myself turning down glasses of wine with dinner or to just casually drink because I'd rather just have water. This is something I am really hoping will change throughout the duration of this class. I want to be able to appreciate the process of wine making and also appreciate the many flavors that everyone else apparently tastes when they drink it. For me, wine has always just been something that I gulp down because someone puts it in front of me. Then I get sleepy. Needless to say, my experiences have been less than ideal.

I actually don't mind white wine. I was really into Pino Grigio for awhile. And then someone put a glass of Moscato in my hands and it was love at first sip. It taste like juice but still has alcohol in it?? Moscato is really the only wine I will actually seek out and drink. But my mom has informed me that Moscato is like wine with training wheels. She is a dedicated red wine drinker so I guess my choice of fruity white is not up to her standards. I would love to be able to tell her all the things she should know about what she is drinking. And also to know what I should be looking for when she makes me try her reds.

I wish I could say this distaste for (specifically red) wine is just a product of my inexperience. However, when I studied in Italy one summer, I tried a different kind of wine almost every day. It was cheaper than water so economically speaking, it made sense. I tried reds, I tried whites, and that was when I became comfortable with Pino Grigio. We also went to Tuscany twice and visited multiple vineyard and tasted countless wines. If Tuscan wine didn't appeal to me... WIll any!? Hopefully throughout this class I will be able to broaden my horizons and finally drink red wine... And enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment